CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 21, 2009

Let's Talk Dirty....

....dirty diapers, that is!


This Blog is part of the Cloth Diaper Carnival hosted by Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry. Topic- What is your wash routine?

"Eewwww, I could never cloth diaper! Poop is sooooo grosss!". Heard it a million times when people found out I cloth diapered. Obviously from people who never had kids. Or whose kids were old and they blocked out the memories of poop-plosions, and diaper changes so messy poop gets under the nails. Poop happens whether the baby is cloth diapered or wears dispsosies. With disposies, how ever, the poop is discarded with the diaper, never to be seen or smelt again. So not the case with cloth diapers. At least in my case.

I am on my second kiddo in cloth diapers. Sophie is flying solo with the diapers now that Logan has been using the potty for about 4 months (YEAH!!! Toddler poops are THE grossest!), so I feel I have FINALLY found my perfect routine.

When I first started cloth diapering (almost 3 years ago) I used the wet pail method. I found the perfect trash bucket with handles and a cover. I filled the pail about 1/2 way with water and added about 1/4 cup baking soda. The problem with this was after a day or so of diapers, the bucket became too heavy for me to carry down the stairs to the basement. I'm not a wimp, but after a C-section it wasn't working. So dry pail it is. Oh, and FYI, I actually had to write "Dirty Diapers" on the cover of the pail after a couple of house guests mistook it for the actual trash bucket- cause I'm the crazy lady with the 28 Qt trash bucket in the bathroom.

So, here is the journey of the dirty poopie (I admit I had to spell check this word, several times, and refuse to use poo- pie) diaper. First, soiled diaper is swooshed in the toilet bowl. When done while flushing, there is extra water power to get off the soil. On a side note, I have not yet admitted to the hubby that the accidental flushing of cloth liners is why the toilet now clogs, so hold on tight ladies! Wet diaper is then tossed into the properly labeled "Dirty Diaper" pail. When pail is fairly full, or when I run out of my favorite diapers, it is brought down stairs to the washer.

Now here ladies, is where I consider myself lucky. My house came with 2 washing machines!!! The previous owner did not want her husbands dirty work clothes washed with the rest of the laundry, so they had their own washing machine, which now belongs to the diapers. SWEET! I put the diapers in one by one to even out the weight in the machine (learned if I don't do this the machine falls off the plank it is on). I add Charlie's Soap, which is in fact, NOT soap. LOVE this stuff. First detergent I found that left kiddos rash free. Sometimes I add about 1/2 cup of Borax or Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Both of these help with stain and smell. I put the dial on Super load and leave the hood up so they can soak for about 1/2 an hour before I close the lid and let the machine finish doing it's thing.

Now here is where I get a bit obsessive about the rinsing of the diapers. I then take them out of that machine, and put them in my new front loader where I rinse and spin them again. This actually helps lessen the drying time, as the front loader spins the heck out of them, leaving them less wet then the top loader. Then I toss them in the dryer. Yup, dryer. I am a germaphobe and no matter what people say, I don't see how the sun can kill all the yuckies on the INSIDE of the diaper. I am better convinced the dryer will cook them.

And that my friends, is the journey of the poopie diaper. In my house anyway. Now click on the blue "Click here" to get links to other Momma Blogs to see how they talk dirty. Ha, Ha, I'm cracking myself up....

Powered by MckLinky

Click here to enter your link and view the entire list of entered links...

8 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

Wow!! Two washing machines. And people think I am lucky because I have my washer up near my bedroom (okay, I am but I designed the house so I put the washer where I wanted it). Charlie's is one of my favorites too. I use it on everything - not just diapers.

dirtydiaperlaundry.com said...

I wish I had two washers.... I could be so efficient! Especially since I have 2 flights to climb! But, since I am wishing I want a washer next to my bedroom too!

Don't forget to check back later for the McLinky!

-Kim
www.dirtydiaperlaundry.com

Jackie said...

I am so jealous!!!! TWO washing machines? That is awesome!

Unknown said...

I think I'll try Charlie's next. I use Planet now and it's pretty good.

Denise said...

Oh, I would love to have a top loading washer to do my wash cycle & then be able to move them to the front loader to rinse & get them spun out at top speed...hmmm, maybe I need to add a top loader in the garage.

I haven't tried Charlie's soap, I am in LOVE with Rockin Green!!!

Valerie said...

LOL on the nappies, I just like that term!! :O) I am so jealous of the two washing machines. I can only imagine how much laundry I could get done!!

Unknown said...

OK well apparently my spell check didn't catch my misspelling of poopie! It's good to know. Next time I will get it right! LOL :o)

Anonymous said...

"I have not yet admitted to the hubby that the accidental flushing of cloth liners is why the toilet now clogs, so hold on tight ladies!"

That's a mighty slippery slope - LOL!

Sounds like your routine is pretty pat. Well done.
Love the 2 machines especially.